NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fort Myer/Pentagon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billjentz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Fort Myer/Pentagon Reply with quote

Hi= thanks to Don for doing it for me, i am finally logged back in...
I am sure there are not more than 2 others out there who have any
interest in Myer/Pentagon, but just in case, i would like to start this
thread.
I made a posting a while ago regarding the White House's Lincoln
Bedroom being buried at Ft. Myer. The post historian has since learned:
around 1950, Truman guttted some rooms of the White House, including
Lincoln's, and had the stuff in a pile at North Post Ft. Myer, right behind
the Officer's Club where the tennis courts are. Then, when the walls
were painted, fixed, etc, the stuff was brought back to the White House,
so all that remains 'buried' at Myer was some scraps.
I am primarily interested in SOUTH POST Myer, which existed from
only 1940 (when Pentagon was being built) til about 1970. I was in the
last Headquarters Company unit that lived on South Post.

NJ Bill
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back on, Bill!
normfromga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Chairborne! All the Way! Reply with quote

I am glad you are finally giving us the recognition we are due. Or at least discovered the answer to that age old question: Why were our barracks pink?

However, may I make a suggestion? PLEASE GET, OR DRAW, A MAP!!!
I don't think I knew the names of any of the roads that criss-crossed our turf, even back then, so I certainly don't remember them now. Be sure to number/label those buildings the best you can as well. Going by your commentary of John Rotondo's pictures, I was in 517 (the middle barracks on the left side going towards the PX) the same time as you. However, in nearly every other shot, you seem to be referring to the barracks on the end of the row, which would explain why I don't remember any whiteboards listing our assigned rooms.

Again, thanks for the memories... Though I think I can safely say that those 2 1/2 years there were among the best in my life, like with many Boomers, there were moments in the late Sixties that are rather "hazy", if you catch my drift... Wink
billjentz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: South Post Reply with quote

Hi= I have several maps of South Post, with the street names. The names wont mean much to anyone as i dont remember any street signs on post. I will post the maps, but they are too large for my scanner, have to get it done somewhere...
Being stationed at South Post Myer was the best, and better than college, as we could go to Georgetown, Ocean City, etc, without having to worry about exams and papers.
normfromga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree.

I sometimes called our area as "the campus", not just because of our proximity to college hangouts and other diversions, but because the average academic level of our compatriots. Back then, when the DoD need a computer nerd, or a linguist, they didnít have to contract out for such expertise, they just conscripted it. Thus, while most of us may have been just very fortunate clerk-typists, we also had a few eggheads in our midst.

I look forward to seeing any maps you can scan up. Many of the areas you have shown, especially in the aerial photos, are completely foreign to me, especially all those buildings between our company area westward towards the cemetery. I sort of remember the gas station across the street (I didnít have a car at the time), but beyond it, it was unknown territory to me.

Likewise, though I vaguely remember walking passing a swimming pool on my way between the mess hall and Pentagon each day, being a non-swimmer, I donít remember seeing anyone actually using it.

I hope others will drop by to help refresh our memories.
billjentz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: South Post Reply with quote

Yes, I heard several times back then that our unit, Headquarters Company, had the highest educational level, not sure what that was based on, but in part highest % of high school grads and total years in school.. you may not have heard of this, but we were known as 'Chairborne Rangers'.. my friend Jim Robertson, who designed the HQ Company patch also did a Chairborne patch, i should post that on the site....
Those who have contacted me FOR SURE remember the pool, it was right at the tunnel entrance...I used it MANY times... the post had programs where girls from fancy colleges would come to teach young kids how to swim...
normfromga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really interesting about the pool. Maybe it was because I just didn't pay that much attention with "family-friendly" activities while I was there, and, as I said, didn't swim.

It seemed that our big social thing was a monthly "beer blast", held, as I recall, in the area between the orderly room and our dorms. As you may recall, the reason we had these blasts is that we, being the only company adjacent to the main PX of the base, seem to get the lion share of any excess revenue generated by it. The only problem was that it was really restrictive as to how it could be spent, that is, it had to be for everyone's use, so it was spent on beer, and magazines for the orderly room. That is why we had stacks of (G-rated) magazines there, including those about golf, surfing, and other pursuits that most of us we weren't involved in.

Yeah, I remember the Chairborne cheer, "CHAIRBORNE! ALL THE WAY!" and our emblem, the winged chair. Jim Robinson must have been pretty talented. Was he involved with the 1966 adaption of the Griffin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> Military All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: