NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beau Street Runners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisl59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Beau Street Runners Reply with quote

Very Local Band from Franconia/Rose Hill. Original members were: Ronnie Cash(Deceased 2002), Guitar and Harmonica; Phil Beach, Drummer(Ronnie's Half Brother); Clay Dawson, Bass and Dennis Logan, Guitar. We played the usual Pool Parties and the now and long gone, Cameron Club. Our influences were the Yardbirds and the Animals. Played Gloria to death! Phil is believed to still live in the Alexandria area, Clay is in Pennsylvania and Dennis is alive and well and living in Austin, Texas after moving to Dallas in 1996 and then on to Austin in 2004 for work at a computer company in Round Rock. The most notable of gigs was the one at the Alexandria Roller Rink with the Yardbirds and the Shangri-Las. I still have the paybill for that one. If you would like a jpg of it just drop me your email. It was promoted by WEAM and Jack Alix.
________
Morphine rehab dicussion

Last edited by dennisl59 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
vw66

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember "The Beau Street Runners", because they were the rivals of a band I played bass for in 1968 called "The Canterburys". The problem is, I can't remember the other members' names. I was older than the others, some from Edison HS and the drummer was from Springfield HS, I think. Oh, his name was something like Woody Hinkle (?). His Dad owned The Springfield Independent, I believe, and we practiced there among the printing presses. We played Virginia Hills and Meadowview Pools, and the Cameron Club, also. I also remember playing in the parking lot at Edison for some outdoor carnival. I remember playing "Paint It Black" there. Before that I played in a band around Fort Hunt called "The Bishops", with Bill Street, who also went to Edison, on sax. In 1969 I played with "The Berkshires", with Hal Downs from Groveton, Craig Hillis from Ft. Hunt and Tom Kerns. We played a lot of military clubs that summer, including the 8th & I Barracks in DC. Does anyone remember Fordy Thompson?
dennisl59

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Beau Street Runners Reply with quote

The guitar player was Cliff Burnett, who I think still lives in Richmond, Virginia. Bill Street is a Professor of Music in, I think, Calgary, Canada.
The name Fordy Thompson rings a bell.

The BSRs played Somebody to Love, Midnight Hour and several others at the Battle of the Bands at Edison. We managed to stuff the ballot box to win it as I recall. It was mid Summer and the weather was perfect.

Dennis Logan
Round Rock, Texas
________
Universal health warehouse

Last edited by dennisl59 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
vw66

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis! Yes, Cliff played lead guitar. Fordy Thompson ran The Music Cellar in Hollin Hall, and booked local bands. I think he eventually went to jail for something. He was difficult, but kept "The Berkshires" busy in 1969 playing military clubs. Craig Hillis later played guitar with Jerry Jeff Walker and Michael Murphy. I mentioned Springfield HS earlier, but probably meant Lee.
dp69

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I have a bit more to add to all this that you will probably get a kick out of. My name is Dave Padgett, you may remember me...I played bass in The Arratics (that morphed in the late '60's into The Velvet Haze) with Mike Mullins, Jim Jost, Ron Collins & Steve Larrick. I knew Ronnie and Phil and as a matter of fact we practiced a lot just a few houses down at Mike and Jim's (lived next door to each other). Mike Moore and I, as I remember came over to your house, I believe was in Ridgeview?, in the early '70's and jammed a couple times. I moved out into the country near Charlottesville, Va. in '74 and played guitar in a couple of bluegrass bands up through the late '80's. As a matter of fact, we (The Arratics) were the band The BSR played against in the band battle at Edison with the stuffed ballot box! Mike and I remember that day quite clearly. We also played all the local joints and pools, too and quite a few sock hops and frat parties at Edison and Hayfield. We played gigs with The Fallen Angels, The Viceroys, British Walkers and The Hangmen. I remember The Canterburys, The Bishops, The Berkshires, The Carnaby Street Set, The Coachmen, The Gents, etc. I knew Cliff Burnett and Bill Street. I met most of the guys in the other groups, but just don't remember all the names. Here is a good one for you too...I went to that Yardbirds concert at the Roller Rink! We loved The Yardbirds and Animals, too. I would like to see that playbill. I remember a big battle of the bands we participated in the Rink too, probably in '66 or '67. Mike Mullins, Mike Moore, Rick Stone and I still get together occasionally and jam with the oldies. Mike Moore said just the other day, as he remembers it, you and he and Rick played in a band called Brain Damage. Do you still play? Also, Mike said he would like to get your email address, if possible. I'll PM you with mine.

Dave Padgett
Gordonsville, VA.
dennisl59

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...yeah, funny how time slips away...Not playing so much anymore, even though I live in the "live music capital"(Austin) of the world. Problem it is all BAD!...Maybe if I started playing out and give these Texans a taste of the Telecaster East Coast Style, it wouldn't be! LOL!

My email address is dennisl59@austin.rr.com (that's a lower case L)...

I'll send the paybill from the Roller Rink to anyone that would like a copy.
________
HEMP
dennisl59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update to this thread. We're still alive and well here in Round Rock, Texas!
dennisl59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update to keep the thread. Still alive and well in Round Rock, Texas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> Music and Media All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: