NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington Post Feature/"Lizard King" Author/Jim M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> Current Happenings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Opsasnick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Washington Post Feature/"Lizard King" Author/Jim M Reply with quote

The Washington Post, Thursday, August 24, 2006
(an article on author Mark Opsasnick and Jim Morrison):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/23/AR2006082302080.html
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonderful book, thanks for writing it.
SMcKnight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife won't let me read until she finishes reading it. :)
Mark Opsasnick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words.
If anyone has any questions about the book, fire away!
Mark O
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd have two questions regarding Morrison in those days. The first may be unaswerable, and that would be to get a real image of his parents then. Judging by their future relationship, there must have been real tension and strains in the family at that time. I suppose it wouldn't be unusual for Jim NOT to discuss it with his friends, and the parents probably kept their problems with him to themselves also, but it would give us a better understanding of his future outlook, etc.
The second question would be in regards to reactions to Morrison's behavior. While there are some interesting and even admirable qualities displayed, there are episodes that appear to veer more towards real cruelty and even bizarreness. I'd be curious if any of the folks interviewed ever went beyond the usual descriptions of "odd", "different" and/or "loner", to speculate or hint at genuine emotional problems or episodes.
Mark Opsasnick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to get an image of Jim's parents, because he simply did not talk about them and for the most part, when his friends visited his home, they went straight down to the basement. The two friends who actually resided in the Morrison home for short periods of time, Jefff Morehouse and John Huetter, claim they saw no extreme problems between Jim and his parents at that time. I didn't want to specualte on Jim's relationships with his folks, but it appears that the real problems began after he left Alexandria.

The people I interviewed simply didn't understand why Morrison did a lot of the things he did. They never tied to analyze him, they were just confused by his actions. Even 45 years later, most will just say that Morrison was strange, as opposed to describing him as sociopathic or psychotic.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much! He really was an interesting person, and your book has really added to my understanding of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> Current Happenings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: