NorVApics Home
Vintage Images
Access Image Gallery
Vintage Amusements
Vintage Maps
Scans of Ticket Stubs from Concerts in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks for Sale from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC
Yearbooks pictures from Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baileys Crossroads Horse Ring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NORVANative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Baileys Crossroads Horse Ring Reply with quote

As a young child in the early 1960's, I remember my parents taking me to a small amusement that was located at the southeast corner of Bailey's Crossroads. It was a pony ring where you could pay a little money and have a handler put you on a pony, and then get led around a circular "walk". We always hoped our parents would pull in whenever we were in the area. The ring was obliterated when the Route 7 overpass was constructed, as were a couple of the tan stone houses that were located on the northwest corner of the X-Roads. Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about those houses? I seem to remember there was a main house, and three "sub-houses" all of the same style. Always wondered what that was all about....

A.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.,

Punch in the word pony in the search box on the main page and I think you'll find your answer.
SMcKnight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC those houses were quite old and had belonged to a family that had lived at Bailey's Crossroads for a long time. I think I also heard that those houses were moved, rather than destroyed.

For moe info, pick up a copy of "Elephants and Quaker Guns" by Jan Chapman Whitt.

-Scott
Polkat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understood it from my parents, Lewis Bailey was the most prominant land owner in the area. He was a circus owner, and used the land as a winter storage area for his circus animals. Supposedly at one time, there was a 100 room mansion on the property!! I believe that land and the stone houses were a part of his holdings, but to be honest I don't know if any of this is true.

I rode the ponys at that ring many times as a kid. I remember that one of the pony handlers was always drunk! Then we'd go east on 7 to the little airport maybe half a mile down, to watch the planes take off and land. There was a very beat up yellow Curtiss Jenny in a hanger there that I used to play on a lot.
whitelion43

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. Mr Bailey was a circus owner and Merged/sold his circus to some guy named Barnum and then they did the same thing to the Ringling brothers. Thats why Ringling Bro.s,Barnum and Bailey Circus has thier Headquarters at Tyson Corners because they have strong roots in this area(other then Saratoga,Fl)

B also from what I heard Mr Bailey(or his family)decided to buy some land along RT 7 Further out and then someone decided to build the Beltway next to where they own,thus Tyson's corner was Born(see above) last thing I know for certain is they had bought some land at RT 7 and Rt 28 and that was years ago
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NorVApics.com Forum Index -> Places All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: